Saturday, June 25, 2011

Why We Left Trinidad

I have not spoken on the site about why we left Trinidad and moved our family and children 3000 miles to Scotland. This is what the BBC says about Trinidad -

"Trinidad and Tobago - a major trans-shipment point for cocaine - has become ridden with drug and gang-related violence. This has clogged up the courts and has fuelled a high murder rate and much of the corruption that is reputedly endemic in the police. It also threatens the tourism industry".

We reached the point where we never felt safe and it began to wear us down. My wifes family was held up and robbed at gunpoint on a trip to the beach, we were burgled, and we had incidents that led us to believe we were being targeted. We lived a very nice lifestyle, much better than now, but we learned that personal safety is a bigger thing than anything else. We feel safe and happy here.

2 comments:

  1. That is very sad indeed.. I have a lot of my relatives still reside in Trinidad. I am planning to return in the near future to reside there, but now after reading this , I must say I am very skeptical. I was born and raised in trinidad, although I have been away for over 20 years, it's always been my goal to go back and live there until the end of my life here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad but true. I say this as a born Trinbagoian married to a German, living in Germany. I took him back home and felt I had to protect him around every turn. Funny thing is I'm 5'4 and he is 6'6.

    ReplyDelete